Our Policy Work Regarding European Directives
A number of Directives of the European Commission are relevant for dredging and related activities, incl. the management of dredged sediments. These are: Birds Directive 2009/147/EC ; Habitats Directives 92/43/EC ; Marine Strategy Framework Directive 2008/56/EC ; Waste Framework Directive 2008/98/EC ; Water Framework Directive 2000/60/EC
As an official stakeholder
On European level, as an official stakeholder, CEDA participates in the co-ordination groups and working groups of two European Directives. Click the links below to find out more about these Directives, their relevance for dredging and CEDA's role:
- Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD) Strategic Co-ordination Group and its sub-groups (since 2009)
- Water Framework Directive (WFD) Strategic Co-ordination Group and its sub-groups (since 2003).
As a facilitator and a forum
- Birds and Habitats Directives. Workshop - Large marine infrastructure projects and the EU Habitats Directive: lessons learned, November 2013
- Waste Framework Directive: Workshop - Dredged material and the implementation of the new EU Waste Directive, April 2010, in partnership with PIANC, EuDA and ESPO)
- On national level, the UK Section of CEDA is the chair of the UK Water Framework Directive & Marine Strategy Framework Directive Navigation Sector Group that provides a forum for the navigation industry and government to liaise over legislative progress
You can access a range of guidance documents relevant for dredging, published by international bodies where CEDA has an official observer or stakeholder status here.